- This event has passed.
Future of Public Education in BC
November 3, 2016- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Democracy and public education at risk in Vancouver.
The Institute for the Humanities at SFU, together with Ricochet.Media, invite you to join an urgent public forum and discussion:
With the provincial government’s dismissal of the elected Vancouver School Board earlier this month, students, parents, and the general public are alarmed and concerned about the state of public education in our city and province. Former trustees, parents, educators and student advocates will provide their pespectives. There will be ample opportunity of discussion.
Education Minister Mike Bernier has been invited to join this public dialogue, but has not responded to date.
Speakers to include:
– Isabella Preite, Student Trustee, VSB
– Diana Day, Indigenous Community Advocate
– Patti Bacchus, former trustee, Vancouver School Board, elected in 2008, 2011 and 2014 with Vision Vancouver
– Rory Brown, President of the Vancouver Secondary Teachers’ Association, BC Teachers’ Federation
– Alex Hemingway, policy analyst with Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
– Maggie Milne Martens, Co-Founder, Steering Committee Member, P.A.N.
– Moderated by Derrick O’Keefe, Ricochet Media
Other speakers to be confirmed.
Admission is free and open to the public.
The sanctuary is accessible by the entrance near offices on sanctuary level, for those with mobility issues, or by the stairs to main doors on Argyle Street, and the washrooms on the sanctuary level are accessible as well. Since the downstairs area will be locked and gated, entry to the event will be at either end of the building, on the upper (sanctuary) level. There is outside lighting for security.
There is limited parking space in our parking lot at rear of church, as well as on 41st Ave and side streets. The church is at the 41st and Argyle stop on the #41 route.
This event takes place on unceded Coast Salish Territories.